Outgoing Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is on the verge of being indicted by Israeli police authorities on corruption charges. Yet he is absolutely determined to divide the capital city of Jerusalem, saying it is the only way for Israel to secure peace with her enemies.
“There will be no peace if a significant part of Jerusalem is not the capital of the Palestinian state,” Olmert said Friday, according to Ynet news. “When you sit on the chair of the prime minister, which isn’t very comfortable, you have a panoramic view of everything, from end to end…when you see a panoramic image you have to reach different conclusions than the ones you reached when you only had a partial picture.”
I could not disagree with Prime Minister Olmert more strongly. It is not for any Prime Minister to give away that which is not his in the first place. The Bible says that Jerusalem belongs to the Lord. He has chosen it for Himself, and has not given permission for Israeli leaders to tear it asunder.
- Psalm 132:13-14 — “For the Lord has chosen Zion. “He has desired it for His habitation. ‘This is My resting place forever; Here I will dwell, for I have desired it.”
- I Kings 11:32 — “Jerusalem [is] the city which I have chosen from all the tribes of Israel.”
- II Chronicles 6:6 — “I have chosen Jerusalem that My name might be there.”
HEADLINES TO TRACK:
- Ehud Barak says nation demands “unity” government, hints Labor may join Netanyahu coalition
- Barak causing rift within Labor party
- Netanyahu says will cut taxes in 2009
- Ahmadinejad urges U.S. to give up “satanic ways” before a new relationship with Washington can begin